Writing for Animals is a self-paced writing program designed to help writers become more effective advocates for animals. Using Writing for Animals as a text (included in your registration fee), we’ll examine the ways in which writers from myriad genres—fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and activist writing—handle the portrayal of animals in their work.
Each of the eight lessons includes a video lecture along with writing prompts and handouts. There are also three additional “deep dive” sessions that focus on editing, essays and self-publishing.
Participants will learn:
- How animal literature has evolved over the past hundred years and where it is headed
- What anthropomorphism is and how to address it through your writing
- How to give voices to animals while honoring their true voices
- How to create characters that pull readers in and open minds and hearts
- How to navigate the publishing industry, with a focus on animal writing
At the completion of the program, you will join our growing group of Writing for Animals Alumni and will be able to participate in ongoing events.